MTR has a new promotion starting New Year’s eve. To combat continued criticism of their increased fares this year, MTR will offer Octopus card users 10% off the 2nd MTR trip a rider takes the same day.
This is fantastic news and I think a lot better than their ride 10 get 1 free promotion. Many more riders will be about to utilize this promotion since you can be an infrequent user, also the second ride can be to/from anywhere, so doesn’t need to be a roundtrip.
According to the Standard “It is applicable to all MTR lines, the Light Rail and MTR Bus. However, it does not cover East Rail Line First Class Premium, Airport Express or MTR feeder bus services.”
Kudos to MTR for this nice promotion which doesn’t require us to redeem things or take a large number of trips. Just make sure you are using your Octopus card, which you should be doing normally anyway since trips are cheaper vs. cash.
Terms and conditions:
- From 31 December 2012 to 30 June 2013, passengers using the same Octopus for travelling on the MTR (including journeys to/from Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau stations) can enjoy a 10% discount automatically for every second fare-payingtrip made on the same day. This offer also applies to Light Rail and MTR Bus in the Northwest New Territories separately (Please refer to example 1). Airport Express and MTR Feeder Bus are excluded from this promotion.
- Fare-paying trip is defined as a trip with fare deduction at MTR, Light Rail and MTR Bus fare collection system. This trip will be treated as an eligible trip. Trips with the deduction of First Class Premium of East Rail Line only are not treated as eligible trips. If passengers are travelling on Light Rail, an eligible trip must be completed within 120 minutes and must contain both entry and exit records on the Octopus. If the actual fare paid after a rebate at the Light Rail Exit Processor is $0, such trip is not treated as an eligible trip.
- Those trips made by Monthly Pass users travelling along the designated stations or on the free transport modes as defined by respective Monthly Passes are not eligible.
- The 10% discount will be given automatically on the Octopus upon the fare deduction of the second eligible trip. The discount is based on the fare displayed on the fare charts at MTR stations, Light Rail stops and MTR Bus stops, but is not applicable to First Class Premium of East Rail Line. The discount is rounded up to the next 10 cents. For example, a discount of $1.1 applies to fares ranging from $10.1 to $11.
- Interchange journeys at Tsim Sha Tsui Station / East Tsim Sha Tsui Station within 30 minutes are charged as a single journey fare, as usual. However, they will be treated as two separate eligible trips for this promotion. The 10% discount applies to the standalone fare of the individual trip. (Please refer to example 2)
- Entry and exit at the same MTR station with fare deduction is treated as an eligible trip. If it is the second eligible trip, the 10% discount applies to the minimum fare of that station (Please refer to “Conditions of Issue of Tickets” for details).
- This offer can be used in conjunction with other fare promotions. Discounts are calculated separately. However, the discount amount will be up to the remaining fare after deduction of other offers. A trip with no fare deduction after applying other offers will not be counted as an eligible trip for the promotion and the 10% discount will apply to the next eligible trip on the same day.
- Passengers can check if they can enjoy the 10% discount for the next trip through Octopus Enquiry Processors at MTR stations for MTR trips and at Light Rail stops for Light Rail and MTR Bus trips.
- Eligible trips recorded on the Octopus will lapse after the close of traffic every day. Counting of eligible trips will restart upon the first ride of MTR, Light Rail or MTR Bus every day and the lapsed eligibility status on the Octopus will be deleted at the same time. However, the lapsed eligibility status will still be shown on the Octopus Enquiry Processor prior to deletion upon the first ride every day.
- Eligible trip records will be deleted and will not be recoverable if the Octopus is lost, malfunctioned, returned or damaged.
- The promotion dates specified above are based on the operating day of the MTR, Light Rail and MTR Bus from the start to the end of service. In the case of overnight service, the cut-off time for calculating eligible trips is extended to 0500 (entry time) on the next day.
- The MTR Corporation Limited reserves the right to make the final decision in the event of any dispute.