Travel Insurance for HK residents – Schengen Visa insurance Requirements

Traveling to Europe from Hong Kong for work, leisure, or a student trip?

The 26 Schengen Countries consist of: Austria Belgium Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland France Germany Greece Hungary Iceland Italy Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Malta Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal Slovak Republic Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland.

If you’re not a US/EU passport holder and need a visa to enter any of the 26 Schengen countries, one of the visa requirements is to have proof of medical insurance.

To successfully obtain the visa, you will need coverage of EUR 30,000 for any expenses which might arise in connection with repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospital treatment or death.

More specific information about the visa insurance requirement can be found at the EU government website:

So what are your options for travel insurance?

The Bare Minimum
If you are simply looking for the bare minimum to have your visa approved, look no further.

With HKD 300,000 medical coverage and Unlimited Worldwide Emergency Medical Assistance and Repatriation, the Ping An Economic Plan gets the box checked at the most affordable price in the market.

Note that for any single trip travel insurance policy, the coverage has to overlap with your departure from & return to Hong Kong (i.e. the policy must use your flight dates), as any local Hong Kong policy uses Hong Kong as “home” and must originate & conclude in Hong Kong.

Want Something More Robust?

Take a look at some of our other resources discussing Travel Insurance for Hong Kong residents.

Find this advice useful and ready to buy? Fill out this brief form for a travel insurance quote and we’ll get back to you in 1 business day. A HKID is needed to buy local travel insurance.

Add comment

Leave a Reply

Follow Us

Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On TwitterVisit Us On InstagramVisit Us On YoutubeVisit Us On LinkedinCheck Our Feed