From the ANYDOKO video, I get an impression that Wong Chuk Hang is a place you would go for a field trip. The transformation is immense, from residential and industrial district to commercial district with art galleries and cafes.
Here is a briefing on the ANYDOKO video “Exploring Wong Chuk” in brief. Words in Italic are from the guide, Pheobe Miu. I have added more information that you might need: location, transport, price range and open hours per development.
Something is brewing in Hong Kong Wong Chuk Hang area. The new southside MTR line just opened up, and the place is more accessible. Some new and exciting bars, restaurants and shops have just opened along and inside some of these old factory buildings.
But before we do anything, I’m going to need some coffee, so let go find a café. Some really cool places have opened up in the area, including this one.
3/3 RDS (THE RESTAURANT WAS CLOSED IN DEC 2017)
3/3rds has a funky interior, but on a nice sunny day, the rooftop is a great hangout spot. So fluffy.
Alright, now that I’ve had my caffeine fix, let’s go check out some shops.
3/3 rds sits on the top floor of one of many Wong Chuk Hang industrial buildings. It is comfy from plush couches and very bright to make it cheerful. Besides its artisanal coffee, 3/3 rds serves a menu of salads, sandwiches and its signature thin-crust pizzas.
- Address: Unit D, 22nd F, Yally Industrial Building.
6 Yip Fat St, Wong Chuk Hang.
There is so many little knick-knacks, looks at all this cool stuff. This lamp is cool. This is so comfy!
Casa Capriz is a specialist in European vintage items in Hong Kong. The art shop was originally located in Chan Wan but now share a chic space with fashion showroom Ed1tus. If you like vintage furniture, European antiques, and collectors’ items, then this is a must visit.
- Address: 1st F, Kwai Bo Industrial Building
- Open hours: Mon – Fri 9 AM – 7 PM
- How to get there: A walking distance from Wong Chuk MTR subway station.
This is so cool. Wong Chuk Hang is one of Hong Kong’s artsier areas, because the rent is slightly cheaper here, a lot of artists are moving in and displaying their work. If you are an art lover, this place is a must see.
- Address: Room 603, 6th F, Remex Center, 42 Wong Chuk Hang rd.
Hong Kong Free Press now occupies this art gallery. (Unfortunately the rising costs in HK keep the art galleries always shifting.)
- Address: 3rd F, Remex center, 42 Wong Chuk Hang Rd.
- Open hours: noon to 7 PM and weekend during exhibitions.
- How to get there: Wong Chuk Hang MTR, Exit A.
Blindspot gallery is highly recommended for anyone looking for aspiring Chinese artists. Check their website to see if there are any upcoming exhibitions. E.g., one on 10th March, see here
- Address: 15th F, Po Chai Ind Bld, 28 Wong Chuk Hang Rd.
- Open hours: Tue to Sat 10:00 AM – 6: 00 PM (closed on public holidays)
- Website: https://blindspotgallery.com
THE BUTCHERS CLUB
This is the Butcher’s Club. It’s one of my many secret private kitchens that are famous in Wong Chuk Hang. These guys specialize in dry aged beef. So get your friends together for an epic meal.
The Butchers is a private kitchen for all true carnivores. Besides the Angus beet, The Butcher also serve fresh seafood like lobsters and Australian oysters from Nova Scotia. Other branches are in Wan Chai, Central, Quarry Bay and Tsim Sha Tsui.
- Address: 16th F, Shui Ki Ind Bld, 18 Wong Chuk Hang Rd.
- Open hours: Mon- Fri 11:30 AM – 2:30 PM
- Price: about HK$165, no drinks.
- How to get there: Wong Chung Hang MTR, Exit B.
This is one of the first warehouse conversion hotels in Hong Kong, and it’s got a nice rooftop bar which makes it the perfect way to end a day in Wong Chuk Hang.
If you want to rise above the chaos of the city and have a conversation in a relaxed environment, The Above sky bar is your spot. Wait until you get the hawk view of the city below. I also suggest you watch the sunset from this height, spectacular. Happy hours 5-8 pm.
- Address: 23th F, Ovolo Southside, 64 Wong Chuk Hang Rd.
- Price range: $201-400
- Open hours: Mon to Sun 2:00 PM – 1:00 AM
Thanks again for the insight ANYDOKO. I loved the way you cut across different fun places in Wong Chuk Hang. One crucial place that you left out is the Ocean Park. So here are more details on it.
Ocean Park is a top attraction in Hong Kong. While there is two section in Nam Lang Shan Mountain, the smaller section is located in Wong Chuk Hang valley. Here you can take roller-coaster rides, see an array of marine and exotic birds. If you love Halloween, Ocean Park should top your list come the scary month.
- Address: Ocean Park, 180 Wong Chuck Rd, Hong Kong.
- Price range: HK$ 480 for Adult, HK$ 240 for kids (3-11 yrs.), Free for kids below 3 yrs.
- Open hours: 10 AM – 6:00 PM
- How to get there: Take bus 71P, 72A, 71, 75 or N72 to Wong Chuck Hang.
Take MTR to Ocean Park Station.
Being to any of these places or planning to? Don’t forget to share your experience with us in the comment box. I’m also available if you need any clarification on Wong Chuk Hang tours.