Just read a release that British Airways is running a sale until June 18, for premium economy class from HKG to London, though I’m a bit skeptical about it. Notice the bolded terms below.
Super-low fares from HK$9,880 for premium economy return tickets to London
- Offer must be booked by midnight on 18 June 2012, and is available for outbound travel from Hong Kong between 1 June and 30 September 2012.
- Limited seats available.
- UK destinations: London, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle and Jersey.
- Fares do not include taxes and other surcharges.
- High season surcharge applies.
- Date changes permitted at $1,200, except for the outbound journey. A fare difference and change fee can be paid to make date changes on the outbound journey.
- Offer cannot be combined with any other promotions or discounts.
- Offer subject to government approval.
- Other terms and conditions apply.
While I’m all for fare sales, and honestly who isn’t?, this one just seems like a gimmick. I also tried doing some random date searches to London and couldn’t even come up with this price in premium economy, but there were some cheap seats in regular economy for next week, around $5600 (fare only.) I hope BA can run better sales with more seat availability in the future or atleast include some of the surcharges for more total fare visibility.
However, there is a silver lining. When I completed some sample searches, I found some premium economy fares only slightly higher or even cheaper than regular economy fares, see screenshot. So keep in mind if you are booking flights on BA, that premium economy could be an option for you while costing less or only slightly more than regular economy.
Aside from more legroom, better room and drinks, and an extra checked-bag allowance, you’ll collect 7,474 Avios in World Traveller Plus vs 5,979 in World Traveller class.