10-year-visa china

10 Year China Visa: US Citizens

China is now offering 10 year tourist and business mainland China visas to US Citizens. This should be rolled out world-wide by now in all of the Chinese Embassies and Consulates. It follows the same application procedure as before, except that you can now request 10 years length if you hold a US passport and are applying for either a tourist or business visa to mainland China.

The main benefit is that this will save you over a thousand USD, assuming you get a visa each year. Also, not to mention the time and effort to apply each year. The cost of the visa remains the same at $1100 HKD ( approx $140 USD. ) The cost of a China visa for US citizens has always been a flat rate, no matter the length of the visa.

Unless this is your first time applying for a China visa, in which case they might force you to get a single or double entry only, you should always opt for the 10 year multiple entry. Keep in mind the length allowed for each stay is still the same, e.g. 30 or 90 days per entry. Usually HK will give you 30 days, while if you apply in the US they’ll give you 90 days, in my experience. Apparently the gentleman in the picture received 60 days applying in China.

Check out my previous post about how to get a China visa here in Hong Kong. I assume there are new visa applications which have a 10 year check-box, if not, be sure to clarify it with the agent when submitting. The Commissioner’s Office of China’s Foreign Ministry in the Hong Kong SAR website hasn’t been updated since 2011/2012, so I wouldn’t rely on them for updated information or application forms. You can always use an agent such as China Travel Service as well, but they charge an exorbitant fee about the regular visa fee. Others visa agents may be less, shop around.

Undoubtedly one concern will be that your passport will expire before the visa does, because US passports are only valid for 10 years. There’s a solution to this, bring your old expired passport with the China visa, along with your newer current US passport to the border and viola, you’ll be able to use your valid China visa from your expired passport!

By the way, here is a picture of the first ten year visa, given to a 23 year old! Surprised he didn’t hide has name, or DOB.

Finally the day has come where United States Citizens can get a 10 year China Visa. I’m sure the consulates are swamped with US Citizens at the moment. I wouldn’t rush into getting in unless you have an upcoming trip to China, let the crowds die down first.

10-year-visa china
China 10 Year Tourist Visa


Leave a Reply

  • Hi I’m US citizen and am thinking of vacationing in Guangzhou, Shenzhen, and spending several days in Hong Kong as well, arriving and departing from Shenzhen or Guangzhou. I imagine there are visa requirements to go to and from Hong Kong from China. Could you tell me what they are? I curently have the 10 year tourist visa for mainland. Thanks so much.

  • Hello! I’m glad I came across your blog. I have a few questions about a Chinese visa that I hope you can help with.

    I have been working in China on a Z visa/ residence permit for the past two years. My contract and residence permit will expire on June 30th. I want to go to Hong Kong to get a tourist visa so I can travel around the country after my employment. If I have an itinerary, flight booked, etc, is it possible to get a 10 year visa with 60 days stay? My employer also says they could write a letter confirming my travel plans. I have read on some sites that the max stay is 30 days when applying in Hong Kong as opposed to the 60/90 day ones from the US. Is it possible to possible to receive a 60 day stay visa when applying in Hong Kong?

    Also, can I apply for the tourist visa before my residence permit expires?

    • Hi Alex, I see your comment wasn’t answered, and I’m currently wondering the same thing myself. Did you ever get it worked out? And what was the result?

  • Hello! Need your help. I am 15 years old. I hold an US passport and I’m in HK alone. I stay with my Buddhist master and I need to get a visa to enter mainland china but don’t hold HK residency and don’t have my guardian here and it will give me lots of oriblems if they won’t give me a visa, suggestions?

    • Hello, you can try to mail in your passport to the China consulate in the US if you aren’t in a rush. Otherwise you can try to use a agent in HK to get the visa for you, I don’t see a problem with that.

  • Hi Paul

    I am a HK Permanent resident who regularly applies for the 1-year China Visa. appears to be north america based; I would prefer not to use them. Are you aware of local firms that will take care of the 10-year visa for me? e.g. CTS?

    • Hi Paul, I went to CTS and asked pricing about a year ago. It was probably about $1,000 HKD on top of the visa costs, if not more. Insanely expensive in my eyes. Not sure if pricing has changed.

      There are smaller agencies you can use, but I’m not familiar with them unfortunately. I found some time to go to the office and get it done myself.

Follow Us

Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On TwitterVisit Us On InstagramVisit Us On YoutubeVisit Us On LinkedinCheck Our Feed